What are Spider Veins?
Spider veins are a group of widened capillaries & veins that can be seen under the surface of the skin. When these vein walls become weak or the valves controlling blood flow no longer function properly, it leads to an enlargement of the blood vessels.
These enlarged red, blue and purplish veins are commonly seen on the legs, especially on the upper thighs, sides of knees, and around the ankles. Spider veins can also develop on the face around the nose, cheeks, chin and even on your back.
Some factors that can cause Spider Veins include:
- Age – Spider veins can happen at any age but are commonly found between 18-35 years and significantly increases between 50-60 years of age.
- Gender – Woman are usually affected more than men.
- Pregnancy – Can be a huge contributor to the formation of varicose and spider veins.
- Lifestyle & Occupation – Prolonged sitting or standing can increase the risk of developing varicose and spider veins as the weight of the blood continuously being pressed of the closed valves causes them to fail.
- Large amounts of sun exposure
Spider Vein Treatment and Cost
We encourage you to call our MedSpa to book in for your sclerotherapy consultation. At that time, our highly qualified doctor will assess your medical history and condition(s) prior to any treatment taking place. You are not obligated to book in for a service. Spider vein sclerotherapy is not covered under MSP as they are considered a cosmetic treatment, however we do offer reasonable rates and great packages that will save you money!